It is just as easy to make a web page for a wedding site as it is to make posts, in fact there are lots of similarities. First, you have to understand the difference between pages and posts. Posts are organized chronologically by time and can be assigned different categories and tags for easy navigation. When visitors reach your wedding site, they usually see your most recent posts listed on the front page and can search for ones that are not displayed by their category or tags. Pages on the other hand are static and independent of posts, used primarily to display information about the site owner and ways to contact them. For your site, you would need to use pages for things like location of the wedding ceremony and reception, writing a bio about how the bride and groom met, and contact information.
As previously mentioned, the way to make a web page for your wedding site is a lot like the way you made your first post. Try not to confuse the two, because the links required to add a new post and to add a new page are located close to one another on the left side panel of your WordPress dashboard. For more information on how to correctly create a new page, follow the instructions below.
- There is a ‘Pages’ section located on the left side of your WordPress dashboard. If the drop down menu is not opened to display the two options below, open it by highlighting the word ‘Pages’ and clicking on the down arrow to the right of the word. Then click on the ‘Add New’ link to make a web page.
- The new page should look very familiar, because it is almost identical to the ‘Add New Post’ page. If you followed the directions to create a new post in the previous step, you should do the same for adding a new page. Simply enter a title for the page you want to create in the title box, create the content for that page in the post box and format it using the tools provided.
- You will notice a ‘Page Attributes’ box on the right side of the page in the same area as the ‘Categories’ box for adding a new post. This area allows you to change page templates and select the hierarchy of your page. For a simple wedding site, there is not a lot that needs to be done for pages anyway, so you really don’t have to worry about this section.
- When you are done creating the content for your new page, you can first check out how it will look like on your website by clicking on the ‘Preview’ button that is located in the ‘Publish’ box to the right of your post box. If everything looks great and you are ready to make it public, click on the ‘Publish’ button, otherwise click on the ‘Save Draft’ button so you can come back to it later for further modification.
After you make a web page for your wedding site and publish it, there’s a chance you will need to go back and edit that page. Editing the information on your WordPress pages is just as easy as modifying a post and works in the same way. Learn how it’s done below.
- Look for the ‘Pages’ section on the left side panel of your WordPress dashboard and click on the ‘Pages’ link from the drop down menu.
- You will notice a list of all of the pages you created on the screen. Simply locate the name of the page you would like to change and click on it. If for any reason you want to remove the page from your website, check the box next to the page title and select ‘Delete’ from the drop down menu above or below the listed pages before clicking on the ‘Apply’ button.
- Once you click on the page you want to edit, the contents that currently appear for that page will show up in the post box. Make the necessary changes and then click on the ‘Preview’ button to see it in action. If you are satisfied with the new content, click on the ‘Update’ button to republish the page.